|Rated: TV-14 (US) / PG (Canadian Home Video Rating)|
Starring: Adrian Pasgar, Eden Riegel, and Laura Bailey
Released: April 24, 2012 (DVD)
These thirteen episodes are some of the most engaging ones I've seen in a while. Just before starting this review, I finished the series by watching the last four episodes one after another; seriously, it was that gripping. The further you go into the series, the more insane it gets. If you decide to watch this, you'd better clear your schedule!
Production Values: 4/5
Everything was good in this department, as well...except for one thing. The animation was stellar; each action sequence, explosion, attack blast, and everything else looked amazing, even on a small iPad screen or my iMac's monitor. The voice work--in the English dub, at least--was great, too. The one problem was that the English dub didn't match up with the subtitles/captions on the DVD. In many cases, the subtitles would have a character say something when, on the dub, he/she wasn't saying anything, or vice versa. I think the producers of the American DVD need to get to work on syncing those better.
- Sex: Nothing worse than two or three kisses and a mild quip or two. 4.5/5
- Nudity: High-rise dresses, occasional cleavage, and Stark is seen shirtless and naked in the fetal position a few times each. An insert in the DVD case advertising another show has a woman with her midriff bare on it. 4/5
- Language: Aside from the first two or three episodes, each one has at least three or four profanities, mostly d-words and h-words, but also both b-words and the a-word as well. Milder terms, such as "crap" and "heck," are used a time or two. 2/5
- Drugs: Alcohol is consumed, and people are seen smoking. 3.5/5
- Violence: Lots of blasts, booms, fights, and such. Robot enemies are sliced into pieces. More serious are two scenes where characters get impaled, which causes their deaths. A small amount of blood is seen in a few episodes, though there is absolutely no gore. 3/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: The intensity increases as you go into the series, hence the "TV-14" rating; parents of young children might want to screen this before showing it to their kids. 2.5/5
- Other: Episodes involving tornadoes and terrorist attacks may hit a nerve in light of the recent events in Boston, Oklahoma, and elsewhere.