|Rated: Not Rated (Dove approved for ages twelve and up)|
Starring: Nathan West, Ashley Johnson, and Fred Thompson
Released: November 8, 2011 (DVD/Blu-Ray)
Warning! Possible spoilers below!
It's a bit slow, but it still works. Even though the trial is largely a sham, it ends up having repercussions that are still felt around the world today. I did have a problem with the ending, though: It goes from the happiness of a wedding to the bleakness of what happened later on to the evolutionists. Also, one "big reveal" scene towards the end didn't seem to make sense.
Production Values: 4.5/5
Not much to complain about here. Well-made, great sets, excellent acting--especially from Ashley Johnson, who I only knew previously for playing youngest daughter Chrissy on Growing Pains--good soundtrack...what's not to like? The one problem I did have was that the subtitles/captions were awkwardly large, though they thankfully didn't lag like they do in many direct-to-DVD releases I've seen.
- Sex: A "reproductive issue" and sterilization are discussed; though they are not described in detail, young kids might be confused by it. 3/5
- Nudity: Rose is seen in a nightgown that shows a bit of leg. 4.5/5
- Language: One use of a b-word, and some name-calling. A racial slur is seen written on a piece of paper. 3.75/5
- Drugs: Some drinking and smoking. Charles gets drunk, and behaves weirdly and becomes ill as a result. 3/5
- Violence: A guy chases someone while shooting a gun at him. A kid kicks Charles, and a man punches him in the face. 4/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: Some emotional intensity. 3/5
- Other: Bodily functions--vomiting, urinating, burping--are seen, heard, and/or implied. 3.75/5