|Rated: PG-13 for sci-fi action violence|
Starring: Ming-Na Wen, Alec Baldwin, James Woods
Released: July 13, 2001 (theaters) / October 23, 2001 (DVD)
The year is 2065 A.D. The Earth is infested with alien spirits, and mankind faces total extinction. Led by a strange dream, and guided by her mentor, Dr. Sid (Donald Sutherland), scientist Aki Ross (Ming-Na Wen) struggles to collect the eight spirits in hopes of creating a force powerful enough to destroy the alien presence, and pure enough to protect the planet. With the aid of the Deep Eyes Squadron, Aki must save the Earth from its darkest hate and unleash The Spirits Within.
From the creators of the best-selling Final Fantasy video game series.
(Adapted from the back cover of the DVD)
This movie looks incredible! Even on my iPad, the details of every single character and location are amazingly well-done. Unfortunately, the story doesn't make all that much sense, and the overuse of profanity also ruined matters a bit for me. This might be a good rental if you have an insanely top-tier home theater system, but, even then, you likely will still come away at least somewhat disappointed.
- Sex: One brief, yet passionate, kiss. 4.5/5
- Nudity: None. 5/5
- Language: Two s-words, eight h-words, four d-words, a b-word, one misuse of Jesus' name, and three or four misuses of God's. 2/5
- Violence: Shots are fired, people are attacked by alien entities, ships explode...the usual blockbuster-style violence, though not graphic and only occasionally bloody. 2/5
- Drugs: Someone is seen consuming alcohol once. 4.5/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: The aliens are rather nightmarish. At least three characters die. A seven-year-old girl's death is discussed. 2/5
- Other: Some people may have a problem with the spirituality, calling the Earth "Gaia" and talking about its "spirit". 3/5