|Rated: PG-13 for mature thematic material involving mistreatment, some drug content, violence, and language, all concerning teens|
Starring: Vanessa Hudgens, Rosario Dawson, Brendan Fraser, and James Earl Jones
Released: January 24, 2014
Based on a true story.
The Good: First off, the performances in this film are amazing. Vanessa Hudgens does a wonderful job in a role that's much different than Gabriella, her best-known role, and Brendan Fraser also deserves major kudos. This movie may be based on a true story, but the story arc is so compelling, it feels like a thrilling novel. The theme of overcoming adversity is great, and the fact that the film is pro-life and portrays the Christian faith in a positive light is awesome.
The Bad: Despite the fact that this movie features a Disney Channel star, it's not for kids. Between the profanity, the themes of teenage pregnancy and illegitimate children, the sexual remarks, and the rather intense violence, this one is rated "PG-13" for a reason. Also, the soundtrack featured some annoying music.
- Sex: The whole movie revolves around unwed pregnancies. A guy tries to hit on a teenage girl, but she fends him off. A girl is referred to by her mother as a "slut" and a "whore". 2/5
- Nudity: Some cleavage, and a guy is seen shirtless. 4/5
- Language: The b-word is used twice; the h-word, a-word, and d-word are used once each. God's name is misused once or twice, and the milder term "crap" is used once. Some name-calling is also present. 3/5
- Violence: Some fights here and there, including one where a woman attacks a pregnant teenager with a razor with bloody results. A car accident leads to someone entering the hospital. 3/5
- Drugs: Beer is consumed, characters smoke, and drug abuse is referenced. 3/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: Along with the violence, Apple's mother is rather scary; she is intentionally hideous, with garishly yellow teeth and a horrible demeanor. There is also plenty of emotional intensity. 2/5