|Rated: PG for sci-fi action violence and brief mild language|
Starring: Adrian Pasdar, Fred Tatasciore, and Dee Bradley Baker
Released: 2013 (DVD)
The Good: This may be the first time I've seen comic book superheroes in fully computer-animated form, but this film's graphics are outstanding! The Hulk and Iron Man are both very detailed, and the lighting and shading effects are superb. All of the action sequences are well-done, and the voice cast does a great job. Zzzax is a very despicable villain, while the two heroes are rather admirable, which is how I like my stories of good vs. evil. Nothing to complain about, except...
The Bad: This movie should not have been rated "PG". As much as I love superhero stories, the violence is quite frenetic and rarely lets up; as soon as the opening credits finish, you're thrown into the first of many fights. True, there are some breaks here and there, but they're rather brief. The villains are also a bit scary, which is something I'm surprised the MPAA didn't worry about; Zzzax in his full form is rather hideous, as are some other creatures that Iron Man and Hulk fight. For older fans, that isn't a big deal; still, parents may be duped into buying or renting this for their young children if they don't know that it abuses its "PG" rating.
- Sex: None. 5/5
- Nudity: The Hulk is shirtless throughout the entire film. 4/5
- Language: The MPAA warned about "brief mild language," but, I didn't notice any profanity, even with the closed captions turned on. However, name-calling is present. 4/5
- Violence: Right from the get-go, it becomes obvious that this movie contains plenty of intense violence. The two heroes, the villains, and other characters are thrown, hit, kicked, slammed, blasted, etc., countless times, all in a mere seventy-one minutes. The end credits also contain comic-book-style background images of violence. 1/5
- Drugs: None. 5/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: Along with the frenetic violence, most of the bad guys are rather hideous. 1/5
- Other: Evolution is briefly mentioned. 4/5