|Rated: TV-Y7 for fantasy violence (US) / PG (Canada)|
Starring: Zach Tyler, Mae Whitman, and Jack De Sena
Released: February 21 - December 2, 2005 (original Nickelodeon premieres) / September 19, 2006 (DVD)
As seen on Nickelodeon. Features the voice work of Mae Whitman (State of Grace, The DUFF).
The Good: What's not to like about this first season? Amazing animation, a great story arc, a knock-your-socks-off ending, plenty of action and drama, a little romance, and an all-around good time. If you haven't watched this, you're missing out, but, prepare to be gripped by it!
The Bad: The only complaints I have are actually with the DVD itself, not with the show. Having the episodes listed individually under "Scene Selection" was a bit confusing, while the previews being on every disc except for the "bonus" one were annoying. That's small potatoes compared to how great the series itself is, though.
- Sex: Kissing and flirting; nothing more. 4/5
- Nudity: Shirtless guys; a guy in a loincloth; a girl in an off-the-shoulder dress. 4/5
- Language: Name-calling is as bad as it gets. 4/5
- Violence: Action sequences abound in this first season; though none of it is bloody or gory, some of it is rather intense. Aang, Katara, and the various bad guys blast, burn, toss, etc., each other countless times. A boat is blown up in order to kill someone. (Spoiler: He escapes.) The two-part finale has some epic warfare. 2/5
- Drugs: None. 5/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: Along with the violence, some scenes can be a bit scary; I thought a character in the finale was especially hideous. There is also some emotional intensity, especially in the last episode. 2/5
- Other: A small amount of bathroom humor; usage of magic-type powers throughout. 3/5