|Rated: TV-Y7 for fantasy violence|
Starring: Andrew M. Gray, Ciara Hanna, John Mark Loudermilk, Christina Masterson, and Azim Rizk
Released: March 2013 (original TV premieres) / January 14, 2014 (DVD)
As seen on Nickelodeon.
The Good: This is mostly more of the same as in the first volume, which isn't a bad thing. The new enemies are a bit more of a challenge, which means that the Rangers have to use critical thinking skills instead of mere weaponry and brute strength. One of the female Rangers even sings a beautiful song at one point, which is different for this series, but still better than hearing "Go, Go, Power Rangers" for the thousandth time. All of the episodes are rather thrilling; even though we know from the outset who will win, it's fun to see just how they'll do it.
The Bad: I already talked about my issues with the intense violence and the DVD releases, so, I won't talk about that again. What I will say is that some bits are annoying, particularly when a character says something, the screen fades--presumably for a commercial break--and then you hear the same thing said again. It probably wasn't repetitive during the original TV broadcasts, but, they could have done some editing on the DVD version to make those bits less grating. Also, some errors in the closed captioning will likely bother deaf or hard-of-hearing viewers.
- Sex: Flirting. 4/5
- Nudity: Girl in short shorts; a guy's midriff is briefly seen. 4/5
- Language: Slight name-calling, which isn't surprising; two misuses of God's name, which is. 3/5
- Violence: The action is very intense in these four episodes; the Rangers and various bad guys hit, kick, throw, shoot, blast, etc., each other quite relentlessly. No blood or gore is seen, but buildings are blown up, and explosions are rather common. 2/5
- Drugs: None. 5/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: Along with the violence, some of the villains are rather frightening, and come off like terrorists as times, especially when they blow up buildings. 1/5
- Other: One villain uses spit as a weapon, which is a bit disgusting. 4/5