|Rated: TV-Y7 for fantasy violence (US) / PG (Canada)|
Starring: Robert Hays, James Avery, and John Reilly
Released: 1994 - 1996 (original TV premieres) / 2010 (DVD)
The Good: I'm a sucker for superhero shows; sure, you always know who is going to win, but, the question is: How? Tony Stark and his friends find themselves in some serious predicaments, not all of which are caused by the Mandarin and his minions. Though the first season is good, the second season improves the experience so much, it feels like a completely different show. The animation, voice work, action sequences, and other production values were all great. It's also wonderful that the legendary Stan Lee was among the executive producers; that man knows superheroes. A cameo by fellow Marvel star the Hulk was great as well.
The Bad: Most of my complaints are minor: the DVD subtitles were messed up at times, and one episode is merely a retrospect. Probably my biggest issue is the violence, which I'll describe below; whereas it's nothing for older fans like me, some parents might want to think twice before buying this for their young children, despite its kid-friendly packaging.
- Sex: Kissing; completely innocent romance. 4/5
- Nudity: Tony Stark is seen shirtless numerous times, and other guys are as well; women are seen in everything from low-cut outfits to bikinis. The style of the animation does make it less sultry, though. 3/5
- Language: Name-calling, and usage of euphemisms such as "butt" and "gosh". 4/5
- Violence: As usual for a show like this, action is seen throughout. Iron Man, his allies, and the various villains are hit, kicked, thrown, blasted, shot at, etc., countless times. Disasters--i.e., buildings exploding--are a fairly common occurrence. A man is choked to death, which is repeated in a flashback, while another man is beheaded; those two incidents are only heard, not seen. 2/5
- Drugs: None. 5/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: Along with the violence, some of the villains come off as terrorists at times; emotional intensity is also present. 1/5
- Other: Magic is used, both by the good guys and the bad guys. 4/5