|Rated: PG for mild action, some rude humor and brief language|
Starring: Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, and Robin Williams
Released: December 25, 2014
Also features a cameo appearance by Dick Van Dyke (Diagnosis: Murder).
The Good: This last(?) entry in the beloved family film series has many cute moments. I was completely unfamiliar with Rebel Wilson before seeing this, but, her British accent was adorable, and Teddy Roosevelt and Sacajawea made a cute couple. The final scenes were rather endearing, and made for a fitting ending; that’s from someone who’s been with this series from the very beginning.
The Bad: As cute and innocent as this was, it was a bit edgier than I’ve come to expect from this series. With three uses of the h-word and right many sexual references—some of which were of the homosexual variety—as well as crude humor involving bodily functions, this is not as clean as the previous films in the series. Discerning viewers may want to take note.
- Sex: At least five or six sexual remarks, most of which imply homosexuality. 3/5
- Nudity: A guy’s costume shows his midriff; a woman shows cleavage; another woman in a strapless top. 3/5
- Language: Three uses of the h-word; euphemisms such as “heck” are heard occasionally. 4/5
- Violence: Fantasy and slapstick violence is seen throughout. 2/5
- Drugs: None. 5/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: All of the exhibits nearly meet their end; in many cases, more than once. A man is held at swordpoint. The ending is bittersweet. 2/5
- Other: Gags involving bodily functions. 3/5