|Rated: "General Audiences" (manufacturer's advisory)|
Starring: Michael Bell, Neil Ross, and Chris Latta
Released: 1983 - 1985 (TV premieres) / 2009 (DVD)
Based on the line of toys from Hasbro.
The Good: What a ride! This show may have been before my time, but it definitely kept me hooked! The early episodes were better; they had more convoluted stories that kept me on the edge of my seat! Even though you know who will win in a series like this, sometimes it's hard to see how until they actually do. The animation was great, and the voice work was very well done. Fans of old-school Saturday morning serials should check this one out.
The Bad: As good as this is, there was one issue: A lack of closed captions or English subtitles makes this inaccessible for deaf or hard-of-hearing viewers. That seems to be a common issue with Shout! Factory releases; hopefully, the studio will work on that in the future, if they haven't already.
- Sex: Kissing, flirting; totally innocent romance. 4/5
- Nudity: Some guys are seen shirtless; others in tribal outfits; one or two female characters show cleavage. All of it is made less sultry by the animation style. 4/5
- Language: No actual profanity, but name-calling and lesser terms such as "butt" are present throughout. 4/5
- Violence: By today's standards, this would likely be rated "TV-Y7" for fantasy violence. The Joes, COBRA, and various other individuals are hit, kicked, shot at, thrown, etc., countless times; however, there's no blood, and the makers go out of their way to show that there are no fatalities. 2/5
- Drugs: Occasional smoking. 4/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: Along with the violence, COBRA could be scary for some kids, and there are numerous scenes of peril. Emotional intensity is present at times, and themes of terrorism may hit a raw nerve for some viewers. 2/5
- Other: A lack of closed captions or subtitles makes this inaccessible for deaf or hard-of-hearing viewers. 4/5