|Rated: PG for some scary action and rude humor|
Starring: Kelly Macdonald, Billy Connolly, and Emma Thompson
The Good: The animation in this movie is excellent; then again, this is a Pixar flick. Merida is a likable, yet flawed, character, and definitely a strong heroine. The film alternates between humor and touching scenes, but they're all well done. I enjoyed the voice work, too.
The Bad: Though this was a fun movie, it isn't the kind of epic we've come to expect from Pixar. It seems to borrow too much from previous Disney movies, ranging from their various princess flicks to the most recent version of Freaky Friday. Now that great computer animation is rather commonplace--seriously, you can find it in television cartoons these days--you need more than that to sell a movie.
- Sex: A man moons other men; nothing is seen. A boy grabs an item from inside a woman's cleavage. A woman is embarrassed to be wrapped in only a tapestry with guys around. 3/5
- Nudity: Cleavage; shirtless guys; bare buttocks without any critical areas; a woman wrapped in a tapestry. 3/5
- Language: Name-calling; nothing more. 4/5
- Violence: A bit of comedic violence, alongside some that's more serious; two bears fighting is probably the worst of it. 3/5
- Drugs: Implied drinking. 4/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: The bears fighting; emotional intensity. 3/5
- Other: Fairy-tale-style magic is used; some crude humor, i.e., burping. 3/5