|Rated: PG for scary and intense creature action and images, and for some rude humor|
Starring: Jack Black, Dylan Minnette, and Odeya Rush
Released: October 14, 2015 (theaters)
The Good: What a ride! This is one of those stories that grabs you and doesn't let go. While the ending may be obvious--don't the good guys always win in films like this?--it's still full of thrills and adventure. I don't normally do scary stories, but I didn't find the monsters in this movie to be all that frightening; maybe if I were still eight years old, I'd feel differently. A fun cameo from the real R.L. Stine, great special effects, and even a little romance...what's not to like? Well, nothing, except...
The Bad: There were too many misuses of God's name within the dialogue, which was unfortunate, considering that there wasn't much other profanity. That may ruin this film for some viewers.
- Sex: Three scenes involving teens kissing, more than one of which is passionate; two or three stray sexual remarks, including one involving pedophilia. 3/5
- Nudity: A girl in a low-cut dress. 4/5
- Language: One usage of the h-word; ten or so misuses of God's name; harsh words include "shut up" and "imbecile". 2/5
- Violence: Though there's no blood or gore and no apparent deaths, this movie is rife with violence. People are frozen; vehicles are wrecked; monsters are blown up; buildings and other structures are destroyed, etc. 2/5
- Drugs: A stray drug-related remark. 4/5
- Frightening/Intense Scenes: As you'd expect from a movie like this, scary monsters are seen throughout. There is also some emotional intensity. 1/5
- Other: Some of the monsters are disgusting as well as scary; the kids in the movie lie to adults. 3/5